Friday, September 09, 2005

Crisis in Infinite Comics Shops

Crisis in Infinite Comic Shops

So the budget issue has come up again.  We have a set and finite amount of cash.  Unfortunately the comics Industry wants it all.  The whole problem started when Tammy and I got married.  Back home I budgeted my comics before food.  I ate at Mom and Dad’s a lot.  I had a $200.00 a month habit.  

Trust me, I cut back a lot.  

Here’s the big problem, Tammy’s list is short.  Real short. She seems to think that the only thing she needs is the Bat books (including BoP and Catwoman).  

Oh I started with Green Lantern and G.I Joe in the 80’s.  Then I grabbed up the entire 5 books of Superman.  Then I met Wally West, and read that.  It began to spiral from there.  I did Titans, the JSA was offered to me.  Transformers, BFP, Micronauts, and Thundercats all made it to my list.  I was up to 50 titles before I knew it.  No man’s land made me need ALL the Bat Titles.  And then Marvel became cool again.  Suddenly the FF were well done, and JMS was doing Spidey and Avengers were being done by the guy from JSA.  

See what I mean.  

Hi, my name is James and I have an addiction.  I started even speaking in the drug lingo when talking about comics.  I watched X-Men Evolution, Batman beyond and BTAS.  I never missed Lois and Clark, even during the frog eating years.  I went to my dealer to get my fix.  I started getting strung out when I couldn’t be there for the shipment, and everyone else’s Wednesday slump was my two hours of power.  

So when we got married I pruned my list to save us money.  Every single thing she read I read too and I just had added to her list is all.  I’m not an addict, I don’t have a problem.  I can quit when I want to.  But I just don’t want to.  

Every so many months since I married Tammy, she’s been saying “We need to cut back,” usually always during fifth week.  I gave up all the Moonstone books.  I gave up Transformers and any more of the Rising Stars now that JMS is done with it.  I’ve lost the Joes to attrition (there’s only 2 now and I’ve heard the longer running one is shutting down too).  I gave up Flash and Aquaman.  I don’t get JLA or Wonder Woman.  I leave all the minis and the trades alone now, cold turkey.  

Then since I’d had so much overtime and they’d been withholding less in my paycheck than I had needed we’ve been adding more and more back until we topped 50 again.  It isn’t my fault.  Moonstone went and Added Buckaroo Banzai (Peter Weller’s a Professor now, you know?).  Donna Troy’s back, Adam Strange is back and we all love Spider-Girl.  I even added the POWER PACK miniseries.  

But the inevitable has happened.  The pay is cut, we can’t do 130 a month.  We really ought to drop the whole thing cause we’re adults.  But I’ll be damned if I turn in my nerd card.  I fuckin love my comics.  

Here’s the thing.  I can totally feel fine about 30 a week, goin in on Friday mornings and getting my stuff, that is, if the comic shop is right next to my best friend’s place and is 20 miles from my house.  Oakland is another story.  No parking, bad attitudes, College libs.  I fuckin love Oakland, oh yeah.  

If they mailed em to me I’d find a way.  Hell yeah. Driving in and dealing with lib boy.  

The new thinking this argument is 6 for me and 6 for her.  12 titles.  Yeah, I can figure out how to pare down every single title I read and love into 6 titles.  

How to decide?  

The 3 FF (FF, 4, and Ultimate FF), 2 Spideys, JSA, Gotham Central. See that’s 7.  
Ok, so that’s not gonna work.  OK, drop 4 and the Knights Spidey. And I can add back Avengers.  But what about Daredevil?  I totally forgot Astonishing X-Men. Damn.  

I can’t do this!  

Aggh.  I’m goin to bed, bub.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home